I thought 2021 was bad.
In most ways 2022 was worse.
I’ll look back on this year as my year of pervasive Cognitive Dissonance.
Cognitive dissonance is a term for the state of discomfort felt when two or more modes of thought contradict each other. The clashing cognitions may include ideas, beliefs, or the knowledge that one has behaved in a certain way.
– Psychology Today
Here are some examples of things which caused me more than discomfort.
- Political things are going to improve now that President Biden is in office and the Democrats are in control of House & Senate!
- Trump and his cult of followers are making things worse even with him out of office.
There are all sorts of examples within the category of Politics. And they are not all aimed at Republicans.
Here’s another –
- I’ll be able to work until I decide I want to retire.
- I can’t even give my time away as a volunteer.
True that! This has produced in me a low-grade but constant source of cognitive dissonance.
Here’s a good one –
- Now that there’s a vaccine life is going to get back to a safer normal by end of year.
- (As the year wore on) This pandemic is never going to be over.
That one not only caused me more than discomfort, it also triggered resentments toward my fellow human beings that refused to be vaccinated. I haven’t enjoyed that either. This has it’s own CD:
- I try to never judge anyone, I prefer to try to walk in their shoes, I want to have a default assumption of good intentions toward others.
- Millions have decided their freedom of choice is more important than the welfare of our society as a whole, even though vaccines are part of American life, they don’t care about me or anyone but themselves and I disrespect that.
I’m not alone. I know families falling apart because of what’s happening in politics today. It’s gut wrenching.
How about this one –
- Climate destabilization is happening now and humans are primarily responsible as they are for all environmental degradation. Things will get very bad in my lifetime; perhaps, unfixable as in not fit to support human life, mass extinction of species, constant extreme weather… that sort of thing.
2. There is still public debate about climate change being real or not and innovators helped by the super rich will save us in time. Wait, will they?
Cognitive Dissonance could be a good thing when it comes to our Gaia: https://sites.psu.edu/aspsy/2017/09/12/climate-change-and-cognitive-dissonance/
I could go on and on but just one more:
- Found my soulmate and we have a future.
- I’m simply a virtual spouse in a game.
That’s a real head-messing CD right there.
But hey, everyone knows how much I love my virtual reality so just live in the moment and enjoy the game, right? But what if the moment doesn’t feel very good? And neither does the next one, or… *sigh* Oh, Buddha!
And meanwhile, what is the price, the consequences, of low to high-grade CD for a prolonged period of time? Guess we’ll see.
2021 year would have been truly horrific had it not been for the friendships I treasure so very, very much. Miles, Rob, John, Shelley, Nancy, Mike, Kevin, Sue, Eva, Cathy, Linda, Joe, Cindy, Dani, Margie, Brett, Colin, Steve, Clay, Jennifer, Barrett, Lisa, and my SL peeps. These people, my chosen family, saved my sanity. They are precious and very much treasured. I’m sure I screwed up with more than one of them this year but I do look forward to having them all in my life in 2022 and beyond.